The train ride from Munich was beautiful! There was just snow everywhere and as soon as we got going, the mountains started to appear. Every little town we passed had a beautiful little church that stood out against the mountains. Some little towns had massive castles overlooking the peasants below. As we got closer we passed icy rivers where little frozen waterfalls had formed along the edges where the runoff would normally enter the stream. I wish we were travelling a bit more by train than plane now because it's so much easier! No 2hr check in, no customs, better food and so much more leg room.
We arrived in Mayrhofen to a clear blue sky which looked amazing against the snow covered mountains. This is a village up in the Austrian Alps which is surrounded by mountains on all sides. We walked from the train station to our hotel on snow covered footpaths. We had a beautiful apartment with a traditional looking wooden interior and furniture. It had two large bedrooms, two bathrooms, beautiful living and kitchen area and a balcony that gave 180 degree views of the mountains. I was dumbstruck by the view we had. So I stood outside freezing my but off in awe... A few of the photos Daniel put up were taken from our balcony.
Daniel and I booked in for private snowboarding lessons and took the Penkenbahn lift up to find our instructor. Marien was very nice, she spoke English well (among other languages lol! she was French, speaks Spanish, Dutch and English and was in Austria to brush up on her German) and was pretty laid back.
Apparently Daniel and I benefited a little with balance from wakeboarding. Woot! So once we got the hang of leaning forward instead of backwards and getting used to how the board moves, we cottoned onto it pretty quickly. I tell you what though... Falling on water definitely hurts less!!!
For any of you wondering.. I certainly tested out my foot and it is doing well! Which is more than I can say for my knees and my arse! Yes, yes I know snowboarding injuries open this up for a lot of dirty jokes but there's no need to share them on here. ;)
Caitlin and Zelda joined us on the 24th and we had a lot of snow fights. I love snow fights! Caitlin booked in for a snowboarding lesson and we roamed the streets for a bit before heading to the main hotel for Christmas eve dinner. The meals were delicious!!!! Some of the most tender steak I've had!
OMG this is turning into a very long post... How about we do a to be continued here..? Daniel is starting to call me names.. (Nadine.. hehehe ;) )
Ok well hopefully we have free internet in the next place. (Switzerland today, Denmark tomorrow.)
Talk to you all soon. If not... have a wonderful new year!!!!
1 comment:
About time Rhiannon - I'm glad to hear you are having such a great trip, the photos are wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Post a Comment